Let’s talk about supporting our bodies versus inhibiting them. Our bodies are very smart – they were made complexly, dynamically and very specifically in order to function and heal. If they are not functioning or healing well, it’s time to ask “Why?”.
Our bodies are also capable of adapting and should be able to do so. We see evidence of this through temperature regulation, blood sugar regulation, blood pressure, blood clotting when necessary, etc.
Things that inhibit or work against our bodies:
A good first step towards health is removing any negative thoughts, traumas and toxins. The second step is supporting our body so that it can adapt better and we can handle more because we will never live in a perfect world without exposure to these things.
The first step, healing from any past and present emotional, physical and chemical injuries or trauma
The spectrum of health:
- Surviving: doing just enough to function, but not well and not healing
- Thriving: Healing AND Functioning well consistently because the body is SUPPORTED and ADAPTING
The second step, limiting our stress to help our bodies adapt by:
1. Adjustments – help limit stress by removing interference to the nervous system. Helps restore proper joint motion, helps improve muscle health and function (relaxation and contraction), and helps the brain and the rest of your body be more connected through the nerves throughout your body.
2. Supplementation – helps support the body as a whole in areas where we may be deficient – which unfortunately is most of us due to the world we live in and the exposure we have.
3. Moving your body – “move it or lose it”. Even moving 15 minutes a day for one day intentionally can change your metabolism for days to come – so start small and work your way up. The important part is STARTING!
4. Stay hydrated – hydration is one of the most important steps out of all of these. The goal is to drink half your body weight in ounces each day.
5. Food – Important to have a healthy view of food – food is for nutrients, not comfort or flavor, and it’s not just an evil thing that keeps you from losing or gaining weight.
-When picking foods, look less at caloric intake and more at nutrient intake
-You can eat really unhealthy by eating any fad diet (keto, gluten-free, low calorie, etc.) – fix your relationship with food before looking for a diet to do the work for you.
-Eat whole foods as much as possible, natural to the earth, not processed. It would be better to eat produce that is not organic over processed anything else – making better choices even when the BEST isn’t an option.
-Maintain blood sugar (mainly through protein and fat intake). When blood sugar plummets we end up looking to increase blood sugar really quickly – which is usually through sugar!
-Staying hydrated helps avoid the “false alarm” feeling of hunger.
-Utilizing a nutrient-dense way of eating is not about being perfect but instead realizing that there is a spectrum and then figuring out a way to eat healthy without being on either end of the spectrum.
-Our bodies will adapt if we support it – which allows us to enjoy things from time to time.
-Find what food boundaries work for you: 80/20 rule (eating whole foods only 80% of the time and having food freedom within the other 20%), only grocery shopping whole foods and cooking at home during the week, then allow eating out on the weekends, etc.
-Decide if it’s a priority for you. If it’s not, it will always feel like an exhausting and impossible chore
-Have grace with yourself!! If you eat really badly one meal, don’t punish yourself with only dry lettuce at the next meal – get back on track and eat a meal that is full of nutrient-dense foods.
Food doesn’t have to be full of preservatives, gluten, sugar, or dairy to taste good or make you feel good. There are so many tools on the internet and cookbooks that help walk you through how to cook differently and what it looks like to eat foods that SUPPORT.
-Dr. Sophie Mills