One of the most prevalent causes of death in America is heart disease. When you think of heart disease, the words ‘cholesterol’ and ‘fat’ are usually not far behind. The last few generations have been told consistently that cholesterol is the root of all evil. Even with new research and most professionals retracting the high grain, low-fat diet recommendations, cholesterol is still trying to regain its reputation.
It is important to remember that our bodies were made so specifically, with every last detail being designed for harmony and therefore function. There are so many necessary pieces needed for our bodies to survive and thrive! Cholesterol is one of those pieces.
Cholesterol is actually:
1. Found in every single cell in your body
2. An organic molecule that is a waxy substance
3. A necessary precursor for hormones, vitamin D, cell membranes, & bile salts
4. Is not only present through foods, but our liver actually makes it daily – only 25% comes from foods, the other 75% is made in the body
5. Cholesterol can be too low (shouldn’t drop below 150 mg/dL)
6. Used by the liver to digest fats through the production of bile
7. Helps support the immune system
8. Increases ability of vitamin A, D, E and K to be absorbed by the body
9. Is a precursor to vitamin D
10. Made by the liver to help heal and repair inflammation and damage to tissues
When a patient comes in for help with pain, inflammation, fatigue, brain fog, etc., we first address the body through chiropractic adjustments. Adjustments are important for proper joint motion, decreased muscle tension, decreased inflammation and proper nervous system function and communication. If you fell on the ice and had an area that was inflamed, we would want to support your body’s healing processes through 2 things, adjustments and lifestyle choices. Although cholesterol is starting to lose its bad reputation, the value of it is still underutilized.
In order to get a proper intake of cholesterol and support your bodies production of it, here are some good sources of cholesterol and fats your body needs to heal and function:
1. Grass-fed butter
3. Salmon, Sardines, Shrimp
6. Cod liver oil, Extra virgin olive oil
7. Walnuts, and other nuts
8. Chicken and beef
-Dr. Sophie Mills, D.C.